Click on each photo for enlarged view
This is a William Greaves and Sons straight razor that was made between 1823 and 1858 in Sheffield, England. This razor is in defect and blenish free condition. It is in better than new aesthetic condition. Better than new, because metal finishing methods in the era mentioned were not known or always desired. Appearance was somewhat left behind and function was the main criteria. This razor has been refinished to a much more lustrous mirror surface finish that the original surface finish.
Here is a little history regarding Grevaes. Reports state that William Greaves started in business in 1775 on Burgess street in Sheffield England. By 1817, William Greaves had moved to Division Street and had brought his sons - Edward and Richard - into the business. In 1823, the Greaves family built Sheaf Works, it was the first sign that great changes were underway in the Sheffield cutlery trade. The main block of Sheaf Works (still standing in Maltravers Street near the Wicker) was the centrepiece of the first large-scale factory in the town. In 1850, William Greaves & Sons was dissolved, The firm was sold to B.J.Eyre & Company in 1850, and the Greaves markings continued to be used until approximately until 1858. Of particular note, is that when Greaves sold the business to B. J. Eyre in 1850 he had become one of the wealthiest men in England. Razors were not the only cutting items that were made in the Greaves factory. Other items included draw knives, chizels, shears, axes and hatchets, etc.
This Greaves razor has a blade that is 5/8 wide, is made of carbon steel with a hollow grind. The original scales were badly broken and worm eaten. They have been replaced with brand new horn scales. Recently honed to provide a smooth, close and comfortable shave, this razor comes guaranteed shave ready.